Celebration of sweet springtime
A taste of the sweetness of springtime in this old-fashioned favorite. Last week we shared the cake recipe. Here is the icing recipe to complete this delicious treat.
· When you are ready to ice the cake, slice each layer in half horizontally so that you have 6 layers.
· Make the glaze.
· ½ cup coconut milk
· 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
· To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar & coconut milk in a small bowl. Pierce each cake layer with a fork in several places & then spoon or brush the glaze over them before icing.
· Make sure all the layers are completely cool before icing.
· 1-1/2 cups fresh or dried coconut, shredded and toasted
· 18 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
· 18 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
· 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
· 7-1/2 cups powdered sugar
· 2-14 teaspoons salt
· 6 tablespoons coconut milk
· 5-1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· Spread the fresh or dried coconut on a metal baking sheet & toast for about 5 to 7 minutes or until it is brown. Remove from oven & reserve.
· In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter, & vanilla extract & beat the mixture on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until it is light & fluffy.
· In a large mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar & salt, & add it to the cream cheese mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating it until it is smooth after each addition. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed & add the coconut milk & stir in the sweetened flaked coconut.
· Arrange the cooled layers, one by one on a cake stand, icing each layer as you assemble, using approximately 1 cup of icing per layer, then top with the toasted coconut.